You’ve selected your service provider, gotten a quote you like, and you’re ready to send your car on its way to your new home. But have you dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s?
Here’s a handy checklist of things to consider before shipping your vehicle.
Our cross-country move checklist
Always take care of the following before moving your car:
- Car wash – To expedite the vehicle survey and ensure your car is returned to you in good condition, it’s a good idea to present it to your service provider in clean condition. This allows for quick and fair inspection of your vehicle prior to shipment.
- Tires and brakes – Check to ensure the tires are inflated to recommended PSI, brakes are in good condition and most important, there is a functioning emergency brake, which is required to safely transport your vehicle.
- Stereos/GPS – Remove any valuable equipment or aftermarket device that’s not built-in.
- Alarms/Immobilizers – Make sure to give the service provider keys/fobs to disarm the alarm or immobilizer in order to start or move the vehicle
- Climate – Vehicles should be prepared for the climate conditions of their destination. This may include engine coolant, transmission oil, and other fluids. Make sure that the battery is in good condition and that terminal posts are clean and free from corrosion.
- Antennas – Lower or remove antennas.
- Luggage racks, roof racks, spoilers, caps, canopies – Remove these where possible; otherwise, ensure all are properly bolted and secure.
- Personal belongings – Absolutely no personal belongings are to be left in your vehicle during shipping. To see what is permitted please refer to our featured resource, What can I leave in my car during a cross-country move?
- Operating instructions – If there are special operating instructions for your vehicle, it’s a good idea to affix a copy to the steering wheel or centre of dash at the control level.
- Gas – Leave at least 1/4 (one-quarter) tank of gas in the car.
- Keys – Don’t forget to give your keys to the service provider!
Canada’s choice for vehicle transportation
Livingston has over 30 years of experience moving cars across Canada. To learn more about what you need to do to prepare for a move, contact a representative today. If you’re looking to get a quote for moving your car, fill out our convenient online form.